History of Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc.
On January 22, 1942, the Flint News Advertiser printed an ad, asking mothers of servicemen to fill out and return a coupon. The following February 1st, 1943, 300 mothers met in the Durant Hotel in Flint, Michigan. Captain George H. Maines conceived the idea for this group and acted as the chair of their first meeting. After receiving 1,000 responses from the ad, a permanent organization for military mothers began. On February 6th, 1943, the organization was reported on Congressional Record. Chapters formed across the United States. In June of 1960, the organization was chartered by Congress. Mothers volunteered throughout the tough times of World War II. The organization waned in size over the years, but has held together by mothers showing pride in both their children and country. In recent times, we have begun to grow in strength. Mothers are again hanging Service Star flags in their windows, proclaiming pride in the fact that we have children protecting our freedom during a time of war. Each Blue Star represents a service member in active duty. If a Gold Star is displayed, a service member was killed in action, or died in service. Blue is for hope and pride, and gold for sacrifice to the cause of liberty and freedom.